How do we teach children to read?
St. Christopher’s has chosen the DfE-validated TWINKL PHONICS scheme to teach children to read.
What is Twinkl Phonics?
Twinkl Phonics is a DfE-validated, fully comprehensive, systematic synthetic phonics teaching programme. It’s perfect for use by children from nursery up to year 2.
Delivered through the stories and adventures of Kit, Sam and the Twinkl Phonics family, the scheme builds and develops the skills and understanding children need to become effective and independent readers and writers.
Do reading books match the phonics scheme? Yes.
“Rhino Readers” has been developed so there is a direct link between phonics teaching and reading books.
Written by a passionate team of teachers to complement your children’s phonics journey, this exciting collection will grow to create the perfect reading scheme, helping you to create confident, enthusiastic and independent readers.
Rhino Readers offers:
- a growing library of fully decodable books;
- a colourful range of topics, themes and genres;
- books that reflect the world today and promote diversity;
- books that cover statutory requirements from the national curriculum, the EYFS 2021 Framework and the DfE Reading Framework.
The expanding collection will cover Twinkl Phonics levels 1 to 6 and is the perfect complement to Twinkl’s own phonics scheme.
As well as the ‘real’ books, you can access the easy-to-use app so you can take the whole library with you wherever you go!
There is also a progression chart, which breaks down each of the Rhino Readers levels, including the focus graphemes and tricky/common exception words taught at each sublevel of Twinkl Phonics.
Adaptive teaching and Special Educational Needs (SEN)
Adaptive teaching strategies are used to ensure that all pupils can access learning and remain in the classroom as much as possible. Lessons are carefully planned and scaffolded to ensure that all pupils will be able to achieve the shared learning objective at their own level. Children with the greatest need, for example those with Special Educational Needs (SEN), will be given more in lesson support. This will include: more quality teaching and learning time with the class teacher; activities being broken down into smaller, more manageable steps; a higher level of personalised scaffolding in activities. It is our goal for all learners to be able to achieve the learning objective successfully in every lesson. Through adaptive teaching we aim to foster independence, resilience and self-confidence for every child.
- Twinkl Phonics Level 3b Overview.pdf pdf119.1 KbMar 25th, 2022
- Twinkl Phonics Level 3a Overview.pdf pdf182.3 KbMar 25th, 2022
- Twinkl Phonics Level 1 Overview.pdf pdf278.0 KbMar 25th, 2022
- Twinkl Phonics Level 6 Overview.pdf pdf184.6 KbMar 25th, 2022
- Twinkl Phonics Level 5 Overview.pdf pdf207.9 KbMar 25th, 2022
- Twinkl Phonics Level 4 Overview.pdf pdf124.4 KbMar 25th, 2022
- Twinkl Phonics Level 2 Overview.pdf pdf146.8 KbMar 25th, 2022
- Phonics Overview Levels 1-6.pdf pdf1.1 MbMar 25th, 2022